Friday, August 28, 2009

RIP Ellie Greenwhich

Ellie Greenwich is the woman in the center.

In this week of momentous deaths (I'm working on a Ted Kennedy post), I wanted to remember to honor Ellie Greenwich, female song-writer who gave us not just a few singles to put of the sound-track of the 1960's. Bitch has a great profile up, so read it if your interested.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with a few of her compositions, "Be My Baby" sung by the Ronettes, "Leader of the Pack" sung by Shangri Las, and "Da Do Ron Ron" sung by the crystals:





1 comment:

  1. I like to mention that in the "Shangri Las" video, I'm worried throughout the performance that the blonde's hair-piece is about to fall off. Its important to remember that white women used to wear hair-pieces or wigs much more often (or they owned up to it) in the past that that the perception that extensions or weaves are "Black Women's business" and that wigs are for cancer patients was not true in the past, nor is it true today.

    ReplyDelete