Thursday, June 18, 2009

Weekend Food Blogging: Sunday's Smoothie

In order to reap the rewards of flaxmeal (particularly the omega-3's), one needs to add it to their food ground, but flaxmeal can go rancid fairly quickly, so its best to keep the flax intact, as seeds and then ground them up a bit a time, all stored in the fridge or freezer). So, here I have a designated coffee grounder just for flax/seeds and I've ground up a bit of the good stuff for my smoothie. Above is the whole seed, below, the ground meal.

Now, one note: ground flax is fairly caloric, so one or two tablespoons at most is probably a good idea for a smoothie. I use one.
I didn't have any milk in the house, so I broke out the Almond milk, which I usually use for curries, but it can be good in Smoothie's as well. I have to admit that I do prefer cow's milk or soy milk in my smoothies, but almond works well when you also add yogurt and banana.

Here's the blender, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 a frozen banana, 1/4 cup yogurt, almond milk for desired consistency, and 1 Tbsp ground flax.

Here is the finished product in a purdy glass. I haven't had a smoothie in a while because I hadn't ground up any flax--which takes like 1 minute longer--but when I have to leave by 6:20 a.m. for work, it feels too hard :) Smoothies, particularly when made with a bit of protein powder, always fill me up. They are perfect for summer. I'm going to try a few green smoothies pretty soon and the folks over at Amazing Grass are going to send me some free samples to try/review.

1 comment: