Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nia Vardalos Opens Up About Pressure to Lose 40 Pounds

"I am embarrassed to be in the position of answering questions about my body again. On the publicity tour of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I was asked over and over again, if, as the writer, I felt it was a fair depiction of real life to have someone of my er, below average looks, hook up with hottie John Corbett.

"It's been years, and I have sat through many a movie like Sideways, where nobody blinks an eye when Paul Giamatti gets together with gorgeous Virginia Madsen. And, then Knocked Up...well, the visual of Seth Rogan on top of Katherine Heigl made me put the popcorn down and reach for my purse. Not because I was grossed out, but because I knew the film was about to stop and Ashton Kutcher would now jump out and go 'Aha, you've been Punk'd, that would never happen.' I waited. But no Ashton. The film went on. And many a reviewer, who probably look like sweet Seth (yes, even the women) gave it a thumbs up."

She makes such a good point. Hollywood double standard is out of control. Overweight sloppy men are always hooking up with hotties. More examples:

  • King of Queens
  • According to Jim
  • Yes, Dear

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! I'm so glad someone called out the double standard in terms of the looks disparity between male and female actors. Also, in my opinion, the Nia/John couple was very plausible in terms of looks/characters in the film. The Seth Rogan, total jobless loser who is not a looker ending up with the Katherine Heigel character who was a TV entertainment journalist, would have #1 not slept with him, #2 if she did sleep with him, she would have had an abortion. Abortion wasn't even mentioned in the film (though smashmortion was--but not in a realistic way with her sister/friends who would actually talk about the real issues in play--like career, impact on meeting/marrying a more suitable man to have a family with, physical realities, the man in question who was the father--unemployed, slub, stoner with no ambition, not a great candidate for fatherhood, etc.

    ReplyDelete