Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Serena Williams: Everyone Called Me Fat

Serena Williams has one of the best bodies in sports, but she has still been called fat.

"I went through a really tough stage that took place when I was No. 1 and I had surgery and fell to almost 200 in the ranking," she told Tyra Banks in an interview to air on her talk show on Thursday (watch video above). "Everyone called me fat, saying I was really unfit. Every [news]paper, the headline was 'fat, fat, fat.'"

The media can be so harsh. Serena Williams is awesome and her body does so much for her. She needs the muscle to kick but on the court. The media needs to learn the difference between muscle and fat.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, LisaD, everytime I log onto the blog, the video from this post starts playing automatically. Is there a way you know to stop that? I know that some of our readers view the blog at work and I wouldn't want them to get into trouble if a boss walks in and the video starts automatically. Is there a way to put the video under a barrier?

    The post is a good one--its so ridiculous what media expectations of thinness demand of athletes let alone regular women. Serena's body is powerful and healthy NOT FAT.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way to stop the video auto playing. I keep the sound of on my computer at work. But I will remove the video on Friday.

    ReplyDelete