Monday, September 14, 2009

Article Recommendation

Kath, she of KERF, has an interesting quick post up over at gather.com

Kath lost about 40lbs and has kept it off for several years and she is a well-regarded food blogger and is studying to become a nutrionist. She lost weight through calorie counting, exercise, and learning more about quality nutrition. She hasn't counted her daily calories in about a year, trying to eat intuitively. She reflects on her calorie counting and in a way, missing it:

Although I stopped counting calories over a year ago, I do miss it sometimes. I’m very happy not counting these days, but on occasion I do wish I had some numbers to track. Calorie counting gets such a bad rap, and people often use “counting calories” and “obsession” in the same sentence. But who has the authority to decide that counting anything is an obsession? Maybe you just like to count things! More power to you if you can enjoy counting something and get in control of your healthy habits at the same time. Counting calories teaches portion control and raises awareness and accountability too.

Check out here blog KERF here or the article HERE.

Personally, I think that calorie counting is honest, realistic, and yet also sometimes crazy making. It can be both, I know that it has been both a boon and a problem for me in the past. I'm trying to work through Beck's The Four Day Win to help me deal with my diet anxiety and nearly instant rebellion at trying to start anything restrictive or obsessive. Yet, I need to get some weight off, and calorie counting, particularly in making meal plans but not necessarily forcing myself to diary (other than food-blogging) in reasonable portions will help me. I'm trying to figure out how to be reasonable in all this, not obsessive. I think that personalities play a big part (and trauma with past diets) can contribute toward dysfunctional or disordered behaviors when it comes to losing weight, even if you are committed to the sensible route. One thing that really struck me about Half of Me by Jenna was that as a 300+ woman, she never really tried to diet before, she had lost weight through exercise, but not the kind of cult of the diet that so permeates our culture. She was successful on South Beach, which doesn't emphasize calorie counting or point tracking or similar. Also, Jenna did (does) tons of exercise.

Anyway, trying to find one's path toward greater wellness is difficult, let alone weight loss.

So, what about you dear reader? Is calorie counting triggering for you? A vital tool for you? Let us know.

2 comments:

  1. I have calorie counted before. Seeing a 4500 calories on paper on Monday would shock me enough to get me down to about 2100 by Friday.

    I perfer the WW points. Because it takes account Fiber and fat with the same number. Knowing a Punkin Spice Venti Frap with Whip is 17 point and a big mac is only 11 points helps me make more satisfying choices most time.

    Yet, what has got me to my weight loss break through is this. Wanting to lose weight more then wanting the comfort of food. These days I can finally tell the difference between physical hunger versus emotional hunger.

    I now want to feel atheltic amongest my peers versus fat and funny. I know want to wear Ann Taylor loft business casual clothes with my upcoming managers job.

    I now know food will never fix a problem other then hunger.

    I believe all diets work, but you need to be psychologically committed to the cause to stick with it the long all.

    I also love WW because of the meetings. I needed to be surrounded by people who talk about weight loss in a more even handed way.

    Sometime when I speak with friends. They encourage me to stay the same, so I will not change the hierachy of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good reflection, Lisa--thanks!

    ReplyDelete