Monday, September 21, 2009

IDEA critical of Biggest Loser

I've mentioned before my trepidation regarding the Biggest Loser. I tried to watch it last season, but when a woman was puking on the treadmill on the first episode, I said "I'm out, this isn't ethical." Also, the show is on Tuesday nights, when I have a class so I'd have to go out of my way to watch it via the net. I will try to watch the first couple episodes over the next two weeks and see if I can do a regular review. I get that this has really inspired many viewers to either get a bit trimmer themselves or to understand the plight of the obese in a more compassionate way.

However, it is still a form of exploitation and recently the IDEA (an international organization dedicated to fitness and wellness) has published a report regarding the show's practices.

Some concerns include:

“There seems to be little concern for biomechanics, and many contestants who clearly have been avoiding even the simplest forms of activity for years are now doing explosive, full-body plyometric exercises. There is simply no sound reason for doing this."

"Speed is only appropriate when you’ve mastered the basics of movement. Many of the contestants on that show have no business jumping or doing explosive exercise."



1 comment:

  1. I agree that the Biggest Loser is more for Entertainment then for healthy sound advice.

    ReplyDelete