Monday, September 7, 2009

Sandwich Update

Okay, well, the official sandwich experiment is over. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was going to try to re-integrate some gluten into my life in the form of sandwiches. My work schedule sucks and sandwiches are really filling and easy things to make at work with the right ingredients, unfortunately, even though I might not officially be a celiac according to my blood panels, the gluten wreaked havoc on my system--it took a couple days to really manifest, but after two weeks (M-Th sandwich days), I was a goner.

So, I'm going to bring some Millet bread and toast it and make open faced sandwiches with some Pacific Soup (and bring a couple other prepared meals--like some Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole) for this week. Making a fresh salad with protein is too hard, but I'll get salads on Wednesday when we go to Wacky Wednesday at the Uni Cafeteria and I can make salads for dinner on occasion. Hopefully I'll be able to break the diet coke habit I've picked up recently to compliment the sandwiches. I'm going to try to bring iced-green tea with juice.

Anyway, its been such a long time since I've had regular gluten that I forgot how much it sucks! Its good to remember this is how it used to be and that I don't have to live with a constant feeling of crappyness. I think that its good I'm not a celiac, that means that I can occasionally have birthday cake or similar, but I can't have gluten regularly or else it compounds and turns into gastro-catastro.

No comments:

Post a Comment