Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Food Poisoning

I just spent the last twelve hours in bed, sleeping off food poisoning. It was left-over Japanese food, I should have known better. Now my body hurts--isn't that funny when you stay in bed for more than say 8-9 hours, how body-aching sedentary stasis can be? I don't tend to be a big sleeper-inner on the weekends, I get up around 7 a.m. instead of 5:45 a.m. or 9:00 a.m. if I was out the night before late (but even if I'm out until 3 a.m. my body rarely allows me to sleep past 9:00 a.m.--not fair!). So, the whole, staying in bed thing for extended periods of time makes me just feel limp and slightly achy.

I have a sensitive stomach in general, but food poisoning is so dramatic--it just takes over and you pray you'll reach the toilet. Once its over, dehydration headaches and an aversion to food (forever, in one's mind) sets in. I just had millet toast, so that "I'll never eat again" impulse has passed, but the headache lingers. I think I'll get some Sprite on the way to work (I have to teach tonight, so I might as well go into work now that the fireworks have stopped, its not contagious, and I slept and slept and slept).

Anyway, food poisoning sucks, but it also can serve as a reminder as to how fragile our bodies are. Just a couple germs in the wrong direction, microscopic and clever, can really take you down--and if I lived in a refugee camp or an Indian slum and I caught a slightly stronger case, I could die. So, be patient with your body--in healing, weight-loss, meeting exercise goals, etc. It all rests on a slender thread.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Feel better soon. Don't get geeked up about parasite wait loss though. It is fleeting.

    ReplyDelete