Saturday, January 2, 2010

10 tips for Setting Successful Weight-loss Goals

MayoClinic.com provide the following list

  1. Personalize your goals. Set goals that are within your capabilities and take into account your limitations.
  2. Aim for realistic weight-loss goals. Healthy weight loss occurs slowly and steadily. Aim to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
  3. Focus on the process. Make your goals "process goals,"
  4. Think short term and long term. Short-term goals keep you engaged on a daily basis, but long-term goals motivate you over the long haul.
  5. Write it down. When planning your goals, write everything down and go through all the details.
  6. Start small. It's helpful to plan a series of small goals that build on each other instead of one big, all-encompassing goal.
  7. Pick a date. Timing is crucial, often making the difference between success and failure. Choose a definite start date and don't put that date off for anything. Be sure to account for life circumstances that might hamper your efforts, such as work or school demands or relationship problems. You may need to resolve some issues before starting.
  8. Plan for setbacks. Setbacks are a natural part of behavior change. Everyone who successfully makes changes in his or her life has experienced setbacks. Identifying potential roadblocks and brainstorming specific strategies to overcome them can help you stay on course.
  9. Evaluate your progress. Review your goals each week.
  10. Reassess and adjust your goals as needed. Be willing to change your goals as you progress in your weight-loss plan. I used many of the suggestions for my 7 Week Jump start

Example:

  • I set my weight loss goal at 10 lbs in 7 weeks. I only have 8.8 lbs and 6 weeks left to accomplishment.
  • I chose these time frame to start because I will not have grad school to interfere with my cooking and exercise.
  • I didn't chose to lose 14 lbs in 7 weeks because rarely do I lose 2 lbs in a week.
  • I write my weekly point averages and set weekly goals.
  • This jump start is a mini goal on my journey to lose a 100 lbs. I started this journey on 9/3/08 with WW. I am 19.2 lbs down with 80.8 lbs go

1 comment:

  1. That is such good advice. I will answer those questions and post my goals this week. Thanks for finding the Mayo Clinic recommendations!

    ReplyDelete